Sunday 24 June 2018

Post Conference 2018

Mike and I were privileged enough to attend the 2018 Young Adult Cancer Canada Survivor Conference at the beginning of the month.  We had the chance to connect with old friends and make new friends as 99 survivors/supporters were in attendance.  I was able to help with making sure everyone had some fun by raising funds for a social event, karaoke (YACCaraoke), at Karaoke Kops. It was the hottest spot in St John's that night!  Huge thanks and much gratitude to the staff and owners of Karaoke Kops!

We were able to attend workshops and discuss matters that have come to light in the past year.  There was a panel, a Big Cancer Hook Up, and many presenters.  Saying the conference was a success for YACC and their ideals is a gross understatement.

The aftermath of conference is one thing that is never easy to deal with.  It's the pain of having to leave your friends for at least another year.  It's the fear of how many friends will die between now and next year.  It's the fear that this was your last year.  That's the thing about making connections: they're awesome and help alleviate your loneliness and fear of isolation, but you are brought into this circle because of a terminal illness, some of us get to stay around longer than others.  I could never say I regret any of the connections I've made through YACC.  I've cherished every friend that I've met through them.  I weep at their death because they had so much that they wished they could do and I weep for the hole that their absence leaves in my heart.  But they are still in my heart.  Always thought of and fondly remembered.

I try to soak in the energy that many gave over the conference.  The laughter and joyful jubilation that saturated us.  To take the tears that were shed in stride and try to remember it is for my loss I cry, that their pain is finished.  I giggle at the jokes we told, I hold dear the smiles and happy faces, I recall the strong hugs and high fives.

I will try to spread the happy.  I will try to remember it is okay to cry.

 


Me and Mike on the bus for one of the social events at conference

Love that we had the opportunity to fly with Porter Airlines

No comments:

Post a Comment