Thursday 28 June 2018

Reality of It

A lot of people do not understand my life. They don't understand what is happening largely in part from the word “cure" going around the interwebs so often now. Let me break it down:

My cancer is now incurable. That is the opposite of curable, so you're aware. All your fucking miracle cures, secret recipes, wonder drugs, etc are not going to change that.

I live in perpetual fear that the pain I feel is the cancer growing or spreading. Once it stops responding to treatment, it will grow, it will spread. It will go to my brain or my liver or my lungs and take over. It is not “being negative” or looking to the darkside of things, this is the nature of my cancer.

My cancer is aggressive. That is good and bad. Aggressive cancers grow and take over quick (the bad part). Aggressive cancers also tend to respond well to chemotherapy (the good part). Chemo tends to attack fast growing cells, that's why aggressive cancers sometimes respond well whereas slow growing cancers can be more resistant to chemo.

Since my cancer is aggressive, my prognosis could change in a heart beat. Literally. The cancer is on my blood, my heart is pumping it around. One day I could be fine, the next day it may have spread.

This is my reality. When I say that I needed to start a GoFundMe because I want to not leave my family in debt and want to do fun things with the kids, I'm saying that because I really am on the precipice. I could fall in any moment. I don't want to die. I want to see my kids grow up. I want to see my 25th anniversary. I want to have a 40th birthday. But that might never happen.

I'm writing this from a bed in emergency, waiting for a ct scan because my cancer might be moving and we're trying to figure it out. Life changes in an instant. I'm trying to make my life last as long as possible. But cancer is as much of a bitch as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment