Tuesday 17 July 2012

Scalpel, Suture,.. Glue

So my adventures in reconstruction continue.  Last night at 1:30a my right "breast" (that's the cancer side for any newbies) decided to start leaking.  Yeah!  Luckily it was just seroma, no signs of infection, so the resident plastic surgeon at the hospital just told me to cover it with gauze and get in to see my plastic surgeon in the morning asap, she'd let them know I was coming.

My hubby and I got about 5 hours sleep and trudged into the hospital.  Thankfully they were moving well today, we got in to the room in about half an hour and saw the assistant surgeon in a couple minutes, my surgeon was only about a half hour after that.  Long story short, the radiation didn't help the healing of this incision, seroma filled behind it and it pushed through a weak spot that was really thin skin.  The fix?  Cut the incision and re-suture.

They were prompt enough to keep me in until they could move me to the "minor procedures" room and set me up for the immediate slice and stitch.  It's local anesthetic (honestly, I have no nerves there anymore so I didn't even feel the needle for the anesthetic), then scalpel, cut it back carefully (remember my implant is behind this skin), and sew me back up.  For added benefit, he had the nurse find some glue (like Superglue, only "surgical" grade, by the looks of the container HA!) and slather that over top of the new incision.  Some fashionable steri-strips to finish it off and I'm thanked for being a great patient, come back in two weeks!

I swear my breast didn't like the idea of being cut cold turkey from the hospital visits, so it acted up.  Bloody stubborn breast!

If this finally heals proper then I will be waiting 6 months to see how everything looks.  The cancer side is smaller, the radiation did make that side not stretch proper.  I like to explain it to people that the left side is like spandex and the right side is like denim, one stretched fine, the other doesn't have a lot of give.  If I really don't like the end result, there's lots of options.  I'm just not out of the woods yet.  Sooooo To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment