Saturday 30 July 2011

All by myself *insert cheezie music here*

My hubby was told to go join his ship in Europe, so now my son and I are on our own.  Beside the fact that I miss him like mad and will be counting the seconds till we're together again, I could normally function perfectly fine with he was sailing for his extended trips.  Only before I didn't have a slew of health issues...

Day one of fully on my own has been interesting, full of back pain, leg numbness, headaches, and even a stabbing pain in my right leg (that's new!).  I'm curious how I'll fare with this, especially since it's starting to look like the insurance company will no longer be giving me any assistance.  Now I get to try to function on my own and try to figure out how to get the bills paid!  Oh joy! :D ... -_-

But onto another rant for now, one thing that I did want to mention out to those that do read this blog, if you have any friends or family that are married into the military I want to give you some advice: NEVER ever ever ever say to them "well, it's what you (he/she/they) signed up for" when their loved one leaves and not expect to get either tortured silence or daggers stared at you from behind glazed eyes.  Yes, we know they are required to leave, but guess what, we do not want them to leave.  Saying that to the person will pretty much make them never want to talk to you about any issues they have again.  Why not just go up to a person with cancer that chose to undergo chemotherapy and is complaining about being sick and losing their hair and say "well, it's what you signed up for".  Sometimes the choice is made because it is the only way for our lives to continue the best way we can.  Don't you think that if my husband was offered a job that paid the same amount and same benefits plus kept him home he'd take it?  But think about it, if he didn't go, someone else would.  What if there was no one willing to separate from all they love for weeks/months on end?  What then?

So count your blessings and tell those you love that you love them.  And don't belittle a person's sacrifice to make the world a better place.  Because, believe it or not, that's what both the military member and their family are doing every time they're deployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment