Tuesday 21 June 2011

Mastering Change

 People look at so many things as "bad" and "good", especially when it comes to health.  But the more I look at it the more I see things as both, really.  There is a positive and negative side to everything, a ying and a yang.  There is a reason for it all.

One might ask if I've gone off my rocker since I'm leading into how cancer is not solely a "bad thing".  I look at it as an annoyance in many respects, but there is a bit of a silver lining as well.  Cancer is causing me to make some changes happen quicker than I probably would have without it.  Its making me go out and meet more people that I never would have had the opportunity to meet if I had not experienced it.  Oh, yes, I wish I could have bypassed the chemo, mastectomy, and radiation, the countless doctor's appointments, the emotional turmoil, but they were the cost for all the good I am receiving.  I know my husband is strong enough to help me throughout something as big as this, I know my family will try their best to help me, I know a lot about people that called themselves my friends before all this happened, I know my son misses "mama" when she's not close by, I have become closer to some people that I would not have expected to.

I count those all as blessings.

I do weep for those that could not make the battle, the ones that either the cancer or the treatment claimed.  I wish that we could all make it out the other side of the rabbit hole and say, "I made it!"  But there will always be loss, unfortunately.  And because of this, those of us that make it must hold our heads high and close our eyes, reflecting on the gentle breeze that kisses our skin and holding that fresh air that fills our lungs, we must cherish that we were given passage through the war zone, finding our paths available to be traveled once more.

We will be the masters of our cancer.  We will be the ones to say, "There is no fault of our own for contracting this, but we are the ones who will sail our vessel through the waves and waterfalls, and we will find our shores once more!"

"You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you." - Sri Ram

No comments:

Post a Comment