Friday 17 June 2011

More Fragile or Sturdier

I am very surprised by how the mass public thinks those that have or have had cancer are delicate little flowers, like lady slippers, thinking that now that cancer has cut into our lives it will take 7 years before we'll be a proper flower again... (for those that don't know if you cut a lady slipper it takes 7 years to grow back).

To be honest, the car accident I was involved in was more detrimental to my life than cancer.  With the accident I lost a lot of ability with my back and neck, with cancer I lost a breast and my hair.  The hair is on the way back, the breast one day will be reconstructed.  My back may never be the same ever again.

Now I'm not saying cancer is all rainbows, unicorns, and fluffy kittens.  Treatments were annoying as hell, having to find the money to get in and out for treatments and for complimentary medication was an adventure on its own, and then there's any and all side effects of the treatments.

It's just amazing to me that when I was in the car accident a couple people asked if I was okay the first couple months, then they all expected me to be back to normal, but those that hear I had cancer and completed all the treatments, their first question is "So how much longer before you are cancer free?"  Did you not hear me say they took the entire breast and didn't find anything more in the scans/pathology?  Perhaps it's because I lost my hair so they think I'm like Samson in the Bible and lost all my strength the moment my scalp was barren of hair.  Let me set the record straight: I am not weaker because I lost my hair and one boob, I am still the same person.

Emotionally I may be a little weaker at times.  It's a lot to deal with in less than a year.  And there are those out there that may be more physically and emotionally effected than I and I hope that they get all the support and help they need.  But don't count me out as being fragile because I've gone through hell and back.  I'm just being fired into a stronger, sturdier metal.  Cancer is my forge not my crutch.

“Nothing splendid was ever created in cold blood. Heat is required to forge anything. Every great accomplishment is the story of a flaming heart.” - Arnold H. Glasgow

No comments:

Post a Comment